Are you facing a divorce? Are you thinking of going it alone? Many people are tempted to go it alone when it comes to handling divorce proceedings. However, there is much more to divorce than many people realize.
What a Lawyer Can Do for You
Simply reading and applying divorce law of filling in a few template forms may result in problems down the road. An attorney can be invaluable in ensuring that your best interests are considered. Here are just a few of the many benefits to hiring an experienced divorce lawyer:
- Understanding your state’s divorce law: An experienced attorney has a clear understanding of the laws governing divorce, child custody and equitable distribution of assets. Your lawyer will ensure that the law is applied in a way to fully protect your legal rights.
- Years of experience: What may initially appear to be a “simple divorce” can quickly turn into a complex situation. Your attorney will have experience dealing with the complexities of the dissolution of marriages including distribution of assets such as real estate and parenting issues. This will allow him to anticipate potential issues before they become problems and make sure that you are informed and protected.
- Access to resources: Attorneys have access to extensive resources that may be useful for you. Examples of this include investigators and valuation experts. If such a resource is needed, your lawyer already knows who to call.
- Familiar with the corridors of justice: Your lawyer will have experience with judges, magistrates and other lawyers in your jurisdiction. He will understand the ins and outs of legal process in your jurisdiction and know how to maximize your chances of success.
- Your lawyer will keep you focused on your end goal: Going through a divorce can be emotionally devastating. It can be hard having to deal with all the emotions of a broken relationship as well as the turmoil of the distribution of what you and your spouse obtained together. Your attorney will be your anchor in this difficult time. He will deal with the issues in a rational way and give you a clear perspective throughout the process.
Having an experienced attorney in your corner gives you a fighting chance. Your attorney will help you consider not only your present situation but also the future. He will help guide you and pay attention to the finer details to ensure that your rights are considered throughout the divorce proceedings.
If you live in the Shreveport area and are considering a divorce, please contact the Law Offices of J. Ransdell Keene for a confidential consultation.