Accomplished Shreveport Lawyer With Over 45 Years Of Experience

Slip/Trip and Fall at Work

On Behalf of | Jun 25, 2019 | Workers’ Compensation |

If you suffer a slip and fall or trip and fall injury on the job, you need to know how your medical bills will get paid and how you will receive compensation for any time missed from work. In most cases, you can receive Workers’ Compensation benefits, but you need to follow the proper procedures and protect your legal rights. Talking to an experienced Workers’ Compensation attorney like J. Ransdell Keene right away is the best way to make sure that you do not make mistakes that can cost you your benefits.

Workers’ Compensation Benefits for Work-Related Slip and Fall

You can suffer a slip and fall in any line of work, even if you sit at a desk all day. Most employers are required to carry Workers’ Compensation insurance coverage for their employees. If your fall happened at work or while performing a work duty, you can receive benefits. For instance, if you slip and fall while running an errand for your employer, that is covered by Workers’ Compensation. In fact, if you slip and fall in your hotel room while travelling on business, that is usually covered too, with a few exceptions.

On the other side of the coin, if you slip and fall at your workplace and are there for some reason that is not job-related, you are not covered. For instance, if you work at a restaurant but your slip and fall occurs when you are there with friends as customers, Workers’ Compensation will not apply. However, a personal injury lawsuit may be appropriate.

Protecting Your Legal Rights After Slip/Trip and Fall

If you have been injured on the job, you should talk to an experienced Workers’ Compensation attorney right away. You are not required to hire an attorney to file your claim, but your attorney will make sure that it is filed properly and that your employer and your employer’s insurance company do not cheat you out of the benefits you are entitled to.

To learn more about work-related falls and your legal rights in Shreveport, please call attorney J. Ransdell Keene.